This substance is a strong acid known by names such as sulfamidic acid, amidosulfonic acid, amidosulfuric acid. Sulfamic acid has the ability to form sulfamate salt. In terms of appearance, it is a crystalline white powder with fine and shiny particles and has the chemical formula (H3NSO3). This substance is completely soluble in water. The melting point of sulfamic acid is 205 degrees Celsius.
This material is an almost strong acid with a molecular weight of 97.10 g/mol. This material is non-toxic, non-volatile and odorless and is not considered as a dangerous compound. It actually looks like wet snow.
Sulfamic acid technical specification table
|Soluble in water and alcohols, acetone and nitrogen-based substances
Structure of sulfamic acid
In terms of chemical structure, sulfamic acid is an intermediate compound between sulfuric acid and sulfamide. Sulfamate compounds are also derivatives of this material. This acid is one of the simplest sulfamic acids, which consists of a single sulfur atom. This sulfur is connected to two oxygen atoms by covalent bonds with hydroxide and amino groups and by double bonds.
Sulfamic acid production
The production method of sulfamic acid by urea compounds with a mixture of sulfur trioxide and sulfuric acid (or oleum) is done industrially in two stages:
CO(NH2)2 + SO3 → CO(NH2)(NHSO3H)
CO(NH2)(NHSO3H) + H2SO4 → CO2 + 2 H3NSO3
Aqueous solution of sulfamic acid is unstable and easily decomposes into ammonium bisulfate. Ammonium bisulfate is a crystalline solid in appearance. This material reacts with alcohol during heating. And during the equilibrium reaction of sulfamic acid with methanol, methylamine is produced. This material melts in water and compounds such as sulfur trioxide, sulfur dioxide and nitrogen under a temperature of 205 degrees Celsius before being decomposed at a higher temperature.
Advantages of sulfamic acid
The most important advantage of this material is its high durability. Also, this acid is economically affordable, this substance increases productivity by reducing time. This acid has the ability to protect metals as well as the surface of equipment and can increase their lifespan. Therefore, it is also effective in the overall production process. The transportation of this material is done easily. The solid form of sulfamic acid can be used directly in systems. If this substance is used in high doses, it does not cause corrosion.
Application of sulfamic acid
- It is used in sodium silicate factories.
- Ammonium sulfamate is one of the consumables.
- As a catalyst for the esterification process
- It is used in the pharmaceutical industry to manufacture and produce many therapeutic drugs.
- It is used as an acid detergent in industry.
- It is used in the paint and resin industry to produce pigments and resins.
- In order to remove corrosion and limestone, it is used in ceramic industries.
- It is used as a chloride stabilizer in the paper industry to prepare pulp and paper.
- It is used as a coagulant of urea-formaldehyde resins.
- In the production of fire extinguishers
- In the plating industry, it is used for plating nickel and nitrogen oxide.
- It is used for the production of chemicals and also for the separation of nitrite ions.
- It is used to stabilize chlorine for use in swimming pools.
- In the industry, it is used for cooling towers and water purification and electrorefining and as a diluent in condensers.
- In the plastic industry and textile industry
- In order to remove protein deposits during pasteurization of food industry devices
- It is used to remove mass and deposits in the boiler and as a polisher for the surface of the equipment.
- Organic chemistry laboratories use this acid for sulfate and sulfation of many organic compounds.
For more information and consulting please contact our experts at Iran Petroleum.